Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Blessings in a Book Bag

Did you know that there are kids that go the weekend without food? Their main meals are those that they are able to eat at school. I found out yesterday about a backpack program that is done by a group of volunteers.They put together easy to make foods in a backpack and leave it in a hallway. The kids in need then go to pick it up before going home, this is done anonymously so kids can avoid teasing. 




I don't have money to donate, but I do have extra stuff from my stockpile. I just donated three bags of food items and a mesh backpack. Now that I am aware of some of the items they need I will be looking for those when I am couponing and if they are at a "stockup" price, I will be buying a bunch and donating. 


Some of the items they are asking for:
Chef Boyardee 
Rice
Instant Grits in the Packets
Spaghetti Sauce
Dry Pasta and Noodles
Baked/Canned Beans
Dried Beans
Canned Vegetables
Canned Meats (Spam, Chicken, Etc) 
Cereals
Hamburger Helper
Box Meals 
Crackers
2 Pound Bags of Flour
2 Pound Bags of Sugar
Juice Boxes
Peanut Butter
Jelly 
Fruit Cups
Canned Fruit
Soups
Mac & Cheese
Ramen Noodles
Bottled Water
Instant Oatmeal Packets 
Clear and Mesh Book Bags
School Supplies

I donated 6 boxes of instant mashed potatoes (the 2 pack kind)
A case of Ramen
A bag full of canned vegetables
A bag full of Pasta Sauce
A box of instant Easy Mac (the packet kind) 
Some Kroger Brand Chef Boyrdee
A Back Pack 

I know I didn't donate a lot, but I donated what I had extra of. Remember, I only shop for a weeks worth of groceries unless I find a "stockup" sale. 

If you would like to donate any items you can email them at blessingsinabookbag@gmail.com They also take monetary donations which is tax deductible. You could also drop them off with me and I will deliver it to them.  

Here is their website: Blessings in a Book Bag

No comments:

Post a Comment